Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wild Life

There have been a couple of times this week that I've wanted to take pictures, but just couldn't seem to find my camera. Well, this morning I asked Mara if she knew where it was. She said (a bit sheepishly) "Oh, yeah, it's in my Diego explorer backpack. I was taking pictures of wildlife." This is one of pictures that she took.

Today, we did P.E. at the park. I was aiming to get the majority of Gabe's work in before we left, but the kids were just getting too crabby and needed to get out of the house. That's one of the challenges of homeschooling with smaller, less self-sufficient kids in the home. I find it's best just to roll with what comes and sometimes break up the school day.
At the park we had a soccer match and ran a couple of drills. Afterwards they played at the park. For Bible lesson we read Genesis chapter 19:1-29. This is the chapter when the angels destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. Lot' wife is turned into a pillar of salt because she looks behind to see the city as it is destroyed.
Gabe also did math flashcards. We still have to do Spelling, Language Lesson, Phonics, Writing, and Math. It sounds like a lot, but is actually kind of fun and passes by quickly. Yesterday we did our usual lessons, plus we read a chapter out of a book about anacondas.

I am realizing that there are so many teaching opportunities during the day that go beyond book learning. For example today when we got home from the park, we had chicken salad sandwiches and a fruit of their choice. We were able to talk about what types of food are protein; and how we need protein to build muscle and fresh fruits and vegetables to give us vitamins and energy. This led into lots more questions of course about muscles and bones. Tomorrow we'll go to the library and check out some new books. I think I'll pick some up on nutrition as well.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment