Thursday, March 11, 2010

St. Patrick's Day crafts






Today the kids cut out hearts that I traced and glued them into the shapes of shamrocks. We talked about how St. Patrick used the shamrock to help the Irish understand the Trinity.

We also read chapter 15 of Genesis while they continued to decorate their shamrock pictures with colored pencils. We're slowly making our way through Genesis. I read to them and then after I ask them questions about what we read. It's amazing what they retain. Mara remembered that God told Abram that He would be Abram's shield. I'm happy to teach the kids about God's character. Sometimes the job of teaching our kids about the things that God has done seems overwhelmingly complicated. Then I read to them a little from the bible and I realize that's the most important part. In 7th grade, my teacher Mrs. Utting, told us that reading the bible is important even if you don't understand it. She asked us if we could remember what we had for breakfast and said that it doesn't matter if we can remember what it was, it still nourishes our bodies. I remember thinking then that I would start to read the Bible to my children when they were still babies.

The picture with "St. Patrick's Day" written in purple crayon is Mara's. We've been working on her writing and she's doing very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment