Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Back Home

After a month long trip to California to celebrate the holidays, we are finally home. Yesterday was certainly an adjustment after a month away from home. The girls are still tired and a bit out of sorts after an entire day in the car. Mostly we did errands yesterday, and continued to find places for our new stuff.

Today, Tuesday, we went to Story Time at the local library. The theme was "porridge" and the craft was making instant oatmeal. The kids all spooned quick oats and powdered oats into a zip lock bag then filled it with the toppings of their choice. The librarian helped Gabe find some books on Snakes which will serve as our Science time later tonight.

After we got home I let the girls watch some TV before nap-time while Gabe practiced phonics/reading. Gabe also did 1/2 hour of Math worksheets. We're now onto subtraction which of course he understood right away and was doing happily on his own.

I realize today that I need to be a bit more relaxed about his lessons. I am often take things too seriously, being that this is my first time home-schooling. I think it would be helpful to get together with some other homeschooling moms to get more feedback. I met a girl in Costco on Sunday who home-schools her kids and invited me to a monthly tea that she hosts for homeschooling moms. I think I'd like to go...we'll see. In the mean time I think I'll check out some blogs.

Later than evening...
We read a chapter of "The Story of the World". Did a language lesson, and a couple more math worksheets. All in all it was a productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment